Sunday, April 10, 2005

Blog Post (Oral Presentation Reflection)

For my presentation this week my goal is to be able to communicate in three minutes the importance of my research topic. Though three minutes is short, I believe the gist of my argument can be communicated to the class. My intention is to start out the presentation with some picture that would most likely be familiar to the class. The picture will probably contain someone using their cell-phone. Or perhaps I will have a slideshow of images, perhaps five to ten, showing various technologies that I would say most modern Americans "rely" on. From there I will propose the question to the class by asking how many students own cell phones. I will follow this question up with how many students own laptop computers. The purpose of asking these questions is to illustrate the prevalence of these technologies for people our age. The body of my presentation will be setting up the main points that I will attempt to explore more deeply in my research. I think the Lunsford reading was helpful in that it reminded me of the importance of stating my purpose, remembering my audience, and adhereing to a structure in my presentation. I will provide a quote from an article that I found on the topic of the "intrustion of technology" into our daily lives. Finally I will end my presentation by explaining how I got interested in this subject and pose the question: How many of you can remember what life was like prior to cell-phones and the Internet?

No comments: